Thursday, March 30, 2006

Wetsuit has arrived

Okay. Females will understand this analogy. Guys will just have to imagine.

Putting on a wetsuit is like putting on 1/4" thick support hose all over your body. Oh, and did I mention - You are tall and the panty hose is petite. Since I didn't have to use the "infamous" Pam spray or body glide to get it on and I could move after zipping it up - IT FITS.

It is supposed to feel more comfortable in the water -- Oh, the water. Nicci, at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society office, has a sister in California who is on a Team in Training out there. Their team went to check out the course for Wildflower. The water temperature is currently 48 degrees. They've had a cooler than normal spring. So, it probably will not get up to 60 by race weekend. Fun. Judging by how warm I was in the wetsuit when I just had it on for a few minutes, I'm sure it will keep me warm enough, but getting into the water could be a bit of a shocker. Why must things be "unusually cool" the year we decide to participate, hmm?

Oh, it will all be fine.

I did 25 miles (well really 27 - like my bike computer, so I don't have to guess distance) on the bike after work on the bike path. Felt pretty good. Got up to a high of 20 mph, but averaged 14 mph - stopping at almost every crossroad for traffic.

Swam 2000 in the Oberlin college pool over lunch yesterday. Not a spectacular time (70 minutes), but I swam it. Still working on guess what? - Right. Breathing. Practiced closing my eyes when I'm swimming, so I can get a feel for not having good visibility and still swimming straight. I don't. Swim straight, that is. I'm hoping the wetsuit will miraculously help me with all that - breathing, swimming straight, staying warm, swimming faster - you name it. Let's go wetsuit! Do your part!

Need to head to bed. I'm taking my car in tomorrow morning. I was going to have Mom pick me up while I waited for the car, but I am going to run 6 miles instead. Okay - unconventional, I know, but the car dealership is about 1 mile from the reservoir. Why wait in the comfort of my Mom's kitchen, eating oatmeal, when I could be running to and around Memorial Lake Park?

Next trick is to figure out my Friday swim. Will probably have to do morning. We are joining Pat's mom for dinner at 5:15-5:30, so I don't envision that I'll want to rush out of there and go swim 2500 yds on a full stomach.

Okay - most people have noticed this, but I do want to announce that I have lost 22 pounds, as of today. My goal is at least 10 more. The weight is not the thing, really. With the gain in muscle, I've dropped from a size 16 swimsuit to a size 12. I bought a size 10 too....for later :)

I do need to add at least add crunches and squats - for core and leg strength. If I can just get those two in three times a week, that would be helpful.

I am going to be able to make it to Teddy's track meet tomorrow. For the whole track meet. He runs high hurdles (event 2), 300 m hurdles (middle event) and the 4X400 relay - last event. That's why I'm getting my run in tomorrow morning, so I can get to his meet. On that note, since I have to get up at 6:30, I'd best to bed.

Oh - time change this weekend. Not a good thing for a non-morning person like me. I was just getting excited about having light in the morning, and we're going back to dark. I guess I can workout later at night though..... :)

Cheers. Thanks for stopping by.
Rosie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home