40 miles; hills no go
Okay - I guess it is mental. I could get so far on those hills in the Cuyahoga River Valley, but not to the top. So, I did my 40 miles on the towpath. There was some grade there, but not like the hills I attacked but could not conquer. With any luck, the Olympic course really is more rolling hills. But I do have a week before I have to pack up my bike and send her off to Wildflower. Perhaps I can conquer my mental block and keep on going to the top. I do okay on short hills that have an end, but those long, steep ones just beat me. At least they did on Saturday. But I'll be back.
Did a walk on Easter Sunday after consuming a feast at my brother and sister in law's in Columbus. EXCELLENT fare. So I guess I'm skipping that 6 mile run. Hope that's okay.
2500 yds in the pool tonight. I am getting to the "I'm tired of training" phase. Translation: can't I just skip a night or two and watch tv or something? This is why I DO train. It is too easy to decide that I don't need to do this particular workout because I'm tired, I have too much to do, etc. But when you know that you have to sink or swim (literally) in 3 weeks, you START the workout, and once you start, you realize that your second 1000 yds feels more relaxed than your first 1000, and by the time you get to the final 500 cooldown, you feel good. Good... Hmm... Good, meaning better than you felt when you drove up to the gym door.
Now, if I can just stop worrying about the hills. You know what? My goal was to just finish this thing in a respectable time. I think I can do that. By respectable, I mean before the course closes.... ;)
So I guess I should stop worrying about whether I have to walk the bike on a hill or a few yards in the run. I will finish. I've done the distances. I'm not fast, but I have completed most of the training assignments, except for the weight training bit. I think that is going to have to wait until after this event. Fitness happens. I feel good, I look good (well better).
And you? Take a walk today! You'll thank me!
Rosie
Did a walk on Easter Sunday after consuming a feast at my brother and sister in law's in Columbus. EXCELLENT fare. So I guess I'm skipping that 6 mile run. Hope that's okay.
2500 yds in the pool tonight. I am getting to the "I'm tired of training" phase. Translation: can't I just skip a night or two and watch tv or something? This is why I DO train. It is too easy to decide that I don't need to do this particular workout because I'm tired, I have too much to do, etc. But when you know that you have to sink or swim (literally) in 3 weeks, you START the workout, and once you start, you realize that your second 1000 yds feels more relaxed than your first 1000, and by the time you get to the final 500 cooldown, you feel good. Good... Hmm... Good, meaning better than you felt when you drove up to the gym door.
Now, if I can just stop worrying about the hills. You know what? My goal was to just finish this thing in a respectable time. I think I can do that. By respectable, I mean before the course closes.... ;)
So I guess I should stop worrying about whether I have to walk the bike on a hill or a few yards in the run. I will finish. I've done the distances. I'm not fast, but I have completed most of the training assignments, except for the weight training bit. I think that is going to have to wait until after this event. Fitness happens. I feel good, I look good (well better).
And you? Take a walk today! You'll thank me!
Rosie

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home