Swimming, swimming
Before I get to the swimming, I do want to report that on Saturday we did a group brick (a long ride followed by a run) at the Cuyahoga River Valley, starting from Brecksville Station Road Bridge. A small group of 7 (Bryce joined the long course group during the ride), it was really more individual based upon your fitness level and your race distance. Michael and I were Olympic distance, but he did 40 miles on the bike, I think, and I did 30. The rest of the group did 50+ miles (I forget the exact distance). I consider this a major victory, because I got out of the valley, without having to walk my bike. For about 6 or 7 miles, you are going up. So those "hills, no go" of a couple of posts ago - I made it. I did walk a short, little hill on the return trip, but I was alone and that was really a mental thing. A little scary coming down the hills at 30+ mph, but I pray for protection as I head down. I completed 30 bike miles and approx. 6 run miles in 4:05 hours (real time - no stopping the clock for water/food breaks, etc.). I should have taken water on the run, but I did not, and suffered a little for it. I did a lot more walking on the the return run than on the "out" run. So, I know I can complete 2 legs of the event. I just need to add the swim leg and there you go.....
Yesterday, I did an "easy 30 minute" run at the reservoir. It felt good (after the first mile). I think I will do better if I pace myself slower and maintain the running, as opposed to speeding up the pace too much. I think I maintained a 12 minute pace yesterday and ran all of the second half (about 15 minutes) without a walk break.
Swimming -
I SO did not want to get in the pool today. I was tired, it was after work; I ate 2 granola bars because I didn't think lunch would sustain me for 2500 yds, then felt tired digesting them. Anyway - I got in and told myself I would do at least 1000. By the end of the first 1000 I was getting into the groove. I need to realize that if I push through the first third of the open water swim, it will get more relaxed.
Discovered breathing every 2nd stroke works well for a relaxing pace. Still working on the technique. Definitely have two different strokes depending on which side I breathe on. Crazy, huh? But, every thing has a "preferred" aspect, I suppose. I "prefer" leading with my left foot on the bike, and doing turnarounds to the left as opposed to the right. I have a much more difficult time getting my left foot into the toe clip instead of my right foot. So, I guess a "better" side in swimming is not that unusual. I'm sure it would throw me off to breathe in while leading off with the "other" foot when I run too....
My point about swimming was again that if you just get started, you have a better chance of finishing your intended workout, than if you convince yourself to put the workout off to later. I completed 2500 yds in 75-80 minutes (figure about 10 minutes worth of rest between 50's and 100's). The final 1500 was "cake" - relatively speaking - compared to the first 1000.
Going to have to "train" for something after the triathlon, or I could put off those intended workouts.
I think for my two "easy 30 minute" swim workouts next week, I will practice in my wetsuit. At least one of the workouts. The water temperature may be a bit warm, but I think I can tolerate it for 30 minutes. After all, I can tolerate "hot flashes" :)
Packed up our bikes yesterday to ship them to California. I hope I didn't damage anything. As Melissa (my daughter) would say - I "feel" that I did a haphazard job of it all. I pray for the best. Borrowing Ann's bike for my two bike workouts this week.
Trying to get all our food and packing plans in order. I am going to take "Fantastic Foods" dehydrated soups and ramen noodles for lunches, plus a bag or two of spinach or greens. Need to locate the duffle bag I loaned Teddy so I can pack the camping stuff, too. Hopefully, I'll have some room for enough clothes. It's only 5 days and 4 nights. I can wear the same stuff for several days. We're camping. We'll all smell like wood fire anyway. I'm not a teenager trying to impress anyone. It's all about the food. Didn't sound like food vendors will be extremely health oriented - so, oatmeal for breakfast, soup for lunch, and team pasta parties.
Long post - sorry.
Thanks for stopping by - Rosie.
Yesterday, I did an "easy 30 minute" run at the reservoir. It felt good (after the first mile). I think I will do better if I pace myself slower and maintain the running, as opposed to speeding up the pace too much. I think I maintained a 12 minute pace yesterday and ran all of the second half (about 15 minutes) without a walk break.
Swimming -
I SO did not want to get in the pool today. I was tired, it was after work; I ate 2 granola bars because I didn't think lunch would sustain me for 2500 yds, then felt tired digesting them. Anyway - I got in and told myself I would do at least 1000. By the end of the first 1000 I was getting into the groove. I need to realize that if I push through the first third of the open water swim, it will get more relaxed.
Discovered breathing every 2nd stroke works well for a relaxing pace. Still working on the technique. Definitely have two different strokes depending on which side I breathe on. Crazy, huh? But, every thing has a "preferred" aspect, I suppose. I "prefer" leading with my left foot on the bike, and doing turnarounds to the left as opposed to the right. I have a much more difficult time getting my left foot into the toe clip instead of my right foot. So, I guess a "better" side in swimming is not that unusual. I'm sure it would throw me off to breathe in while leading off with the "other" foot when I run too....
My point about swimming was again that if you just get started, you have a better chance of finishing your intended workout, than if you convince yourself to put the workout off to later. I completed 2500 yds in 75-80 minutes (figure about 10 minutes worth of rest between 50's and 100's). The final 1500 was "cake" - relatively speaking - compared to the first 1000.
Going to have to "train" for something after the triathlon, or I could put off those intended workouts.
I think for my two "easy 30 minute" swim workouts next week, I will practice in my wetsuit. At least one of the workouts. The water temperature may be a bit warm, but I think I can tolerate it for 30 minutes. After all, I can tolerate "hot flashes" :)
Packed up our bikes yesterday to ship them to California. I hope I didn't damage anything. As Melissa (my daughter) would say - I "feel" that I did a haphazard job of it all. I pray for the best. Borrowing Ann's bike for my two bike workouts this week.
Trying to get all our food and packing plans in order. I am going to take "Fantastic Foods" dehydrated soups and ramen noodles for lunches, plus a bag or two of spinach or greens. Need to locate the duffle bag I loaned Teddy so I can pack the camping stuff, too. Hopefully, I'll have some room for enough clothes. It's only 5 days and 4 nights. I can wear the same stuff for several days. We're camping. We'll all smell like wood fire anyway. I'm not a teenager trying to impress anyone. It's all about the food. Didn't sound like food vendors will be extremely health oriented - so, oatmeal for breakfast, soup for lunch, and team pasta parties.
Long post - sorry.
Thanks for stopping by - Rosie.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home