God Bless my Mom, the generous genious!
I would never have made it without her. Into this world, or out of the crazy storage nightmare facing me with this remodeling job.
If your teenager ever complains about being worked too hard, please refer to my mom, Dorothy, who at 78 came over at 8:30 AM and worked until 4:30 with two breaks. Teddy (my son) did most of the heavy lifting, but my mom kept me focused and "on task" throughout the whole day. If left up to me - I'd have been weeping after the first hour of perceived non-progress. When I said, "Mom, you are a genious, my contractor, who does work for her as well, said - "I've been trying to tell you that!"
With Mom's genious and dedicated input, we now have half of the stuff stacked neatly in detailed labeled boxes, half of the stuff waiting in Mel's room (we will be organizing that tomorrow), and half the stuff on a truck and on its way to the landfill (yeah, I hate that part, but it is mostly biodegradable), and the last half waiting for the city to pick up as trash tomorrow.
Yes, I can do math. It has grown exponentially from 1 whole to 4 halves. That's just the way it goes.
After my room is finished, I will create places for everything and put everything in its place. May take me a year, but one box at a time is one box at a time. One of my definite goals is to downsize.
Here is an idea I came up with this week. When you are going through your "memorabilia" have a journal handy. Look at the memorabilia and write your memories for your children and grandchildren. If it's a picture or a card put it in the journal. Otherwise just write about it. Then throw the item away. Then you and your descendents have your memories and you have space in your home to LIVE instead of REMEMBER.
Well, the contractors are coming at 7:30. Best go to bed.
Have a great day!
Sharon
If your teenager ever complains about being worked too hard, please refer to my mom, Dorothy, who at 78 came over at 8:30 AM and worked until 4:30 with two breaks. Teddy (my son) did most of the heavy lifting, but my mom kept me focused and "on task" throughout the whole day. If left up to me - I'd have been weeping after the first hour of perceived non-progress. When I said, "Mom, you are a genious, my contractor, who does work for her as well, said - "I've been trying to tell you that!"
With Mom's genious and dedicated input, we now have half of the stuff stacked neatly in detailed labeled boxes, half of the stuff waiting in Mel's room (we will be organizing that tomorrow), and half the stuff on a truck and on its way to the landfill (yeah, I hate that part, but it is mostly biodegradable), and the last half waiting for the city to pick up as trash tomorrow.
Yes, I can do math. It has grown exponentially from 1 whole to 4 halves. That's just the way it goes.
After my room is finished, I will create places for everything and put everything in its place. May take me a year, but one box at a time is one box at a time. One of my definite goals is to downsize.
Here is an idea I came up with this week. When you are going through your "memorabilia" have a journal handy. Look at the memorabilia and write your memories for your children and grandchildren. If it's a picture or a card put it in the journal. Otherwise just write about it. Then throw the item away. Then you and your descendents have your memories and you have space in your home to LIVE instead of REMEMBER.
Well, the contractors are coming at 7:30. Best go to bed.
Have a great day!
Sharon

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home