Friday, July 28, 2006

Three days?

Has it really only been three days since Tom started working on this remodeling job? Technically, I started on Saturday with laundry and sorting stuff (see Tuesday's post). But I am amazed at what has been accomplished. We have gone from a dusty, dark room with insulation sagging from the ceiling to a sunlit almost drywalled, clean, fresh room with 6 electrical outlets and huge potential. He will finish up an electrical issue tomorrow (boy that is going to be my biggest labor cost - they spent more than a day figuring out and rewiring the ancient and "arbitrary" wiring in this old house). By the time we are back from vacation the room will be "paint ready" with my other new replacement window installed. We will do the window trim and the outlets, and paint the ceiling white, walls (knee rail, really) will be teal, and may paint the wood floor. I need to find a carpet or two. I noted that you can hear the clatter of footsteps below that room, even with the carpet piece in there. It is in the back of the house over the laundry/mud room, so not quite as big an issue if it was in another part of the house.

After the paint, then decorating begins in earnest. What goes in, and where does it go? Of course I have some solid ideas, but it will be fun to create my space. Oh, I'll share it, but it will definitely have my stamp. It's been quite a week these past three days.

Melissa's room still has some large items in it that I hope to arrange in a better fashion tomorrow - can I do it without Mom? So, my "working" vacation has worked out well. Now I have to prepare for a week at Camp Luther. It is time to relax and retreat with the people of God.

Meanwhile, the downstairs is cleaned and neat, the dining room table is clear, the "mud" room is no longer a trip hazard, and the computer landing is clean and organized. All thanks to my wonderful son, Teddy. When God sent him to me, I could not have been more blessed. All my kids are great. Teddy is just the most recent reminder. He was home every day and helped EVERY day. No - "I have to go do this or that with my buds." He was concerned that I got the help I needed. Speaking of help - I know that I would be sobbing instead of rejoicing if my Mom had not been here to keep me on task and keep me company, with her hard work (she would put the average teen to shame) and her "genious" ideas in organization. Praise God for family!!!

That about wraps it up. My goal of a house that will welcome my husband home* has been acheived. Just wish I did not have to take a vacation to have the time to do it right. I'm not a housekeeper at heart, but it would be nice to have the time and energy to attend to the hospitality of home and family. Oh, well - we do what we can and we love each other as we do it.

*Note - Pat is now in 11th place in Advance Masters (amateur division) at the Disc Golf Worlds championship in Tulsa, Oklahoma. One more round tomorrow. Go Pluto Pat!

As Teddy would say - Peace out!

Starting Sunday - Gone for a week in beautiful Conneaut, Ohio on the bluffs of Lake Erie. God Bless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home