Renovate; Rejuvenate; Relate ?????
Renovate:
One week working on the house.
Status: the drywall is up;
the windows are in;
There's one coat of primer on the ceiling and walls;
Pat has plans for the trim on window and baseboard;
Pat says we must clean the grit from between the floorboards, lightly sand the floor, stain the wood and apply polyeurethane. He's my husband, so I agree :);
He doesn't agree with all my design choices, but I'm now thinking along these lines (and after all, this is not a showcase room, this is my "retreat":
Step 1: Another coat of primer on the ceiling, then an eggshell color - the low slanted ceiling to the wall, and the two walls at the ends of the room. Blue (light) paint on the vertical walls (about 3' high) with a border at the meeting point of wall and ceiling. I have white bookcases that will go against the walls which I think will make a nice contrast.
Step 2:
corner 1 - White beadboard door laid across two 2-drawer file cabinets becomes desktop, with one bookshelf (area 1);
corner 2 - Table and sewing machine, with knitting and other craft stuff (area 2);
corner 3 (under skylight) - Reading chair with ottoman and light stand with a couple of bookshelves with all my books that have been in boxes since 1998 - Okay, I will sell some "Fireside Theater" scripts to half-priced books;
corner 4 - fitness equipment (yoga mats, free weights, etc) and storage (highly organized storage) - area 4
Haven't made plans for music, computer or phones, but maybe I don't need any of that anyway. Mel got a free computer (circa 1998) that she feels is worthless without a CD burner, so perhaps I might have a word processor and email machine. - Or Pat does, and I can move this machine into my office..... hmmm - but Ted will want access to the iTunes. Anyway - we'll see.
That's it for the room. I am taking it weekend by weekend, because I just don't have the stamina to tackle "mini" jobs in the evenings. Plan to paint this weekend.
Rejuvenate:
Spent a family week at Camp Luther last week - well got home the 5th. Awesome family and spiritual renewal time. Josh re-affirmed his infant baptism by a ceremony in the camp pool performed by his Uncle Steve, the adult Bible study leader for the week. Fun, relaxing....too short. Camp Luther is the closest thing I know to what heaven might be like. A week of sharing about faith and a lot of fun - A talent show where everyone gets huge applause, no matter the skill level. Watching all three of my children play sand volleyball in a spirit of competitive comaraderie (sp?) - watching the sunsets, never in a hurry, no watches, good food :) The only downer was Teddy having a really raw and painful throat all week. It took me to Wednesday to think to call my doctor and get a antibiotic prescription sent to a nearby pharmacy - BAD Mom.
Relate ????:
Friday night, Teddy came home from "Mosaic", a teen/young adult praise gathering that meets at different churches each Friday. A man stopped at the church because "it was getting dark" and he saw the cars in the church parking lot. He is riding his bike from Oregon to Harlem because, as a recent convert to Christ, he feels led to do this. He doesn't know why. He's just following his call and seeing where he is led.
Long story, short - Teddy calls his aunt, who calls our pastor about using the church's Good Samaritan fund to put him up at a hotel for the night. Oh, yeah, his name is Dave.
Long story, long: While talking to Kirsty (Ted's aunt), she mentions that they are having a party on Saturday to celebrate her husband's 20 years with EDS, and Dave is invited to stop by. After painting on Saturday, I go to the party. Dave is there, and he and Ted are playing guitars, etc. Pat asked me what we will/should say if Teddy asks if we can put Dave up for the night, since it is getting to be too late to continue his journey to Cleveland. In this day and age, I should say - we could pay for a hotel. But I say - we have the camper. As Ted is gathering up to go, I overhear him saying his goodbyes to Dave. I pull Ted aside and ask if Dave has a place to stay for the night.
"No, he says he'll find a park bench or something."
Granted, it is a beautiful night, but I say, "We have the camper."
So, Dave rides his bike to our house (pulling a "wheelbarrow" type cart behind his bike). I'm finding sheets and a blanket and pillow -- he has a sleeping bag and doesn't need them. We invite him to come in. Pat has disc golf conversation with him, gives him a couple of discs.
Actually - I can't describe what the feelings, thoughts are going through my head. I never realized how difficult it is to take someone at face value - with no real history. He did not offer any "personal background statement of who I am and why I'm doing this". Any information was gleaned in conversation, which was at times a bit stilted. You found out what states he has traveled through, but not what job he may have held, or what he did before he started his journey. He had a simplistic and straightforward demeaner. Not selling what or who he is, just kind of "being" and learning new things from people he meets.
Sunday morning, Dave took a shower, and Ted and I had to head out to 8:00 church service because we were singing. Dave got to service on his bike around 8:20. He left his bike and trailer at the church, came home and had toast while I made Joshua and me eggs.
Here's the thing - When you ask someone who is traveling and is obviously living hand to mouth if they want eggs, and they say - "I had some cereal this morning. Just toast is fine." - it makes you want to insist that they take more ---- but you don't because pride is something.
Humble acceptance of what is offered is more appealing than you might think.
Dave never really asked anyone for anything. Every suggestion came from us. Not asking, but willing to accept what is offered.
He came back for 10:30 church service and sat with Josh and the family. Teddy and I were in the choir loft. After service, I see him heading downstairs to get his bike. I have to call to him and ask if he is leaving right away (I knew he wanted to be on the road by 1:00).
Me - "Are you coming back to the house?"
Dave - "Why? Did you want me to?"
Me - "Well, we wanted to send you off with a lunch." Josh also indicated he wanted to send him off with prayer (as I was also thinking).
Dave - "Yeah, I can stop by."
(paraphrased conversation - my memory is not verbatim)
Kirsty tells me that when they gave him $8 for dinner at McDonald's Friday night, he handed them back $3 because he only needed $5. So, I put the $25 that Pat left me to give him in the packed lunch of a couple of sandwiches and an apple, with a note saying "use this as needed on your journey".
He came back to the house, changed his clothes from church to biking clothes. I gave him his lunch. Josh, Teddy and I prayed over him and he went on his way.
Today, two days later, I wonder if he made it through Cleveland, what work God is calling him to do, wondering why I felt he was trustworthy, wondering why we feel it is so important to know "the back story". Wanting to "KNOW" how it all turns out. Somehow, I don't think I will know in this life.
This may have been one of the hardest things for me. I like to know. Dave doesn't carry a cell phone and is not documenting this "call journey". We don't know anything about him except that he accepted Christ and seems to be totally relying on the grace of God for providence for this cross-country trek. He even gave me some bike training advice when we talked about my triathlon experience.
The ministerial service did a background check on him when they put him up for the night, which is wise. However, even my pastors seemed to retain some suspicion and curiosity of "who is he"? I saw only one church member approach and talk with Dave after service, and I overheard him wish Dave well. Lou is a true evangelist.
I have to consider it "offering a cup of cold water". It was an enlightening experience that I'm sure this writing dos not fully explain - which make sense, because I cannot fully explain it.
We only hope that we further God's mission by being a road stop for Dave. Somehow, I don't think we'll "see the documentary". This is a personal mission without a plan for "book rights".
God Bless You Dave! We pray your mission has a positive effect on those you meet and on you, as well. Perhaps it is the journey more than the destination. I know we were touched and humbled by your faith and reliance on God for providence and guidance. See you on the other side, if not before!
One week working on the house.
Status: the drywall is up;
the windows are in;
There's one coat of primer on the ceiling and walls;
Pat has plans for the trim on window and baseboard;
Pat says we must clean the grit from between the floorboards, lightly sand the floor, stain the wood and apply polyeurethane. He's my husband, so I agree :);
He doesn't agree with all my design choices, but I'm now thinking along these lines (and after all, this is not a showcase room, this is my "retreat":
Step 1: Another coat of primer on the ceiling, then an eggshell color - the low slanted ceiling to the wall, and the two walls at the ends of the room. Blue (light) paint on the vertical walls (about 3' high) with a border at the meeting point of wall and ceiling. I have white bookcases that will go against the walls which I think will make a nice contrast.
Step 2:
corner 1 - White beadboard door laid across two 2-drawer file cabinets becomes desktop, with one bookshelf (area 1);
corner 2 - Table and sewing machine, with knitting and other craft stuff (area 2);
corner 3 (under skylight) - Reading chair with ottoman and light stand with a couple of bookshelves with all my books that have been in boxes since 1998 - Okay, I will sell some "Fireside Theater" scripts to half-priced books;
corner 4 - fitness equipment (yoga mats, free weights, etc) and storage (highly organized storage) - area 4
Haven't made plans for music, computer or phones, but maybe I don't need any of that anyway. Mel got a free computer (circa 1998) that she feels is worthless without a CD burner, so perhaps I might have a word processor and email machine. - Or Pat does, and I can move this machine into my office..... hmmm - but Ted will want access to the iTunes. Anyway - we'll see.
That's it for the room. I am taking it weekend by weekend, because I just don't have the stamina to tackle "mini" jobs in the evenings. Plan to paint this weekend.
Rejuvenate:
Spent a family week at Camp Luther last week - well got home the 5th. Awesome family and spiritual renewal time. Josh re-affirmed his infant baptism by a ceremony in the camp pool performed by his Uncle Steve, the adult Bible study leader for the week. Fun, relaxing....too short. Camp Luther is the closest thing I know to what heaven might be like. A week of sharing about faith and a lot of fun - A talent show where everyone gets huge applause, no matter the skill level. Watching all three of my children play sand volleyball in a spirit of competitive comaraderie (sp?) - watching the sunsets, never in a hurry, no watches, good food :) The only downer was Teddy having a really raw and painful throat all week. It took me to Wednesday to think to call my doctor and get a antibiotic prescription sent to a nearby pharmacy - BAD Mom.
Relate ????:
Friday night, Teddy came home from "Mosaic", a teen/young adult praise gathering that meets at different churches each Friday. A man stopped at the church because "it was getting dark" and he saw the cars in the church parking lot. He is riding his bike from Oregon to Harlem because, as a recent convert to Christ, he feels led to do this. He doesn't know why. He's just following his call and seeing where he is led.
Long story, short - Teddy calls his aunt, who calls our pastor about using the church's Good Samaritan fund to put him up at a hotel for the night. Oh, yeah, his name is Dave.
Long story, long: While talking to Kirsty (Ted's aunt), she mentions that they are having a party on Saturday to celebrate her husband's 20 years with EDS, and Dave is invited to stop by. After painting on Saturday, I go to the party. Dave is there, and he and Ted are playing guitars, etc. Pat asked me what we will/should say if Teddy asks if we can put Dave up for the night, since it is getting to be too late to continue his journey to Cleveland. In this day and age, I should say - we could pay for a hotel. But I say - we have the camper. As Ted is gathering up to go, I overhear him saying his goodbyes to Dave. I pull Ted aside and ask if Dave has a place to stay for the night.
"No, he says he'll find a park bench or something."
Granted, it is a beautiful night, but I say, "We have the camper."
So, Dave rides his bike to our house (pulling a "wheelbarrow" type cart behind his bike). I'm finding sheets and a blanket and pillow -- he has a sleeping bag and doesn't need them. We invite him to come in. Pat has disc golf conversation with him, gives him a couple of discs.
Actually - I can't describe what the feelings, thoughts are going through my head. I never realized how difficult it is to take someone at face value - with no real history. He did not offer any "personal background statement of who I am and why I'm doing this". Any information was gleaned in conversation, which was at times a bit stilted. You found out what states he has traveled through, but not what job he may have held, or what he did before he started his journey. He had a simplistic and straightforward demeaner. Not selling what or who he is, just kind of "being" and learning new things from people he meets.
Sunday morning, Dave took a shower, and Ted and I had to head out to 8:00 church service because we were singing. Dave got to service on his bike around 8:20. He left his bike and trailer at the church, came home and had toast while I made Joshua and me eggs.
Here's the thing - When you ask someone who is traveling and is obviously living hand to mouth if they want eggs, and they say - "I had some cereal this morning. Just toast is fine." - it makes you want to insist that they take more ---- but you don't because pride is something.
Humble acceptance of what is offered is more appealing than you might think.
Dave never really asked anyone for anything. Every suggestion came from us. Not asking, but willing to accept what is offered.
He came back for 10:30 church service and sat with Josh and the family. Teddy and I were in the choir loft. After service, I see him heading downstairs to get his bike. I have to call to him and ask if he is leaving right away (I knew he wanted to be on the road by 1:00).
Me - "Are you coming back to the house?"
Dave - "Why? Did you want me to?"
Me - "Well, we wanted to send you off with a lunch." Josh also indicated he wanted to send him off with prayer (as I was also thinking).
Dave - "Yeah, I can stop by."
(paraphrased conversation - my memory is not verbatim)
Kirsty tells me that when they gave him $8 for dinner at McDonald's Friday night, he handed them back $3 because he only needed $5. So, I put the $25 that Pat left me to give him in the packed lunch of a couple of sandwiches and an apple, with a note saying "use this as needed on your journey".
He came back to the house, changed his clothes from church to biking clothes. I gave him his lunch. Josh, Teddy and I prayed over him and he went on his way.
Today, two days later, I wonder if he made it through Cleveland, what work God is calling him to do, wondering why I felt he was trustworthy, wondering why we feel it is so important to know "the back story". Wanting to "KNOW" how it all turns out. Somehow, I don't think I will know in this life.
This may have been one of the hardest things for me. I like to know. Dave doesn't carry a cell phone and is not documenting this "call journey". We don't know anything about him except that he accepted Christ and seems to be totally relying on the grace of God for providence for this cross-country trek. He even gave me some bike training advice when we talked about my triathlon experience.
The ministerial service did a background check on him when they put him up for the night, which is wise. However, even my pastors seemed to retain some suspicion and curiosity of "who is he"? I saw only one church member approach and talk with Dave after service, and I overheard him wish Dave well. Lou is a true evangelist.
I have to consider it "offering a cup of cold water". It was an enlightening experience that I'm sure this writing dos not fully explain - which make sense, because I cannot fully explain it.
We only hope that we further God's mission by being a road stop for Dave. Somehow, I don't think we'll "see the documentary". This is a personal mission without a plan for "book rights".
God Bless You Dave! We pray your mission has a positive effect on those you meet and on you, as well. Perhaps it is the journey more than the destination. I know we were touched and humbled by your faith and reliance on God for providence and guidance. See you on the other side, if not before!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home