Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hmm - got off track - fitness, witness

Okay, I would not usually post a public journal listing my weight, but this is to motivate me to LOSE it. Since I never get any comments, I just assume I'm the only one reading it, anyway.

Starting at 155, 5' 4", size 12-14
This is actually 15 pounds lighter than my highest weight prior to the triathlon.

However, I have gained 10 since the triathlon. I got down (briefly) to 145 during my training.
I just saw a video of Thanksgiving 1994. - I've added 2 pounds/year, easy. This trend must end!

Goal weight = 125 by New Year. 135 if it's all strong muscles.

That's 30 pounds in 4 months. Should be do-able, right? I just have to get 10-20 pounds lower than my most recent "low".

More importantly will be size, not pounds. I bought a size 10 swimsuit. I thought I was trying on a 12; I was amazed when I saw it was a 10. I decided - hey, I'll lose more and this will be comfortable. Let's buy it! I WILL wear that suit in comfort! And I got my wetsuit based on my training weight. It was tough enough to get into that thing at 145...

I have finally admitted to myself that mornings are for coffee and maybe an exercise walk with the dogs. Evenings are for training. The next couple of weeks will be hectic at work, and I know I will be working late most nights, or bringing work home. So, watching the diet, taking my vitamins, and "saying no" to the snack temptations will be the beginning. Plus REALLY tracking my "points" on my palm pilot WW program. Then, full steam ahead with fitness.

My weekly fitness/exercise goals:
45-60 minutes workouts
2 bike rides
2 walk/runs
2 swims

When the weekend schedule allows, making one of those a long long run/walk and/or long bike. IMPORTANT: Strength training - most likely with the shorter run/bike workouts.

I will try to combine a run or bike followed by a swim when I can, so I have a night or two free. I could do an a.m. workout or two as well.

Since Pat is teaching on Tuesdays/Thursdays, I could do a long workout on Thursdays. I already have a long workout on Tuesdays - Bell Choir followed by Choir :)

Some serious stuff now.
I got some shocking news today. One of the men in the facilities department - great guy, friendly, contientious, hard working - had a massive heart attack this weekend.

He's gone.

He was 43 years old!

That's 3 years YOUNGER than me.

He left a wife and two children. I did not know him well, - he was only hired a year ago - but my impression was that he was a "good guy". He was sincerely interested in doing a good job for his co-workers and supervisors. He will be missed. I pray for his family.

None of us know when or where this life will end. In my heart, I'm still 17 years old. My heart can jump that hurdle, run that 440, dance like - well, like a 17-year old. No one sees that 17-year-old except my Lord. Even though this earthly shell confines me to a 13-minute mile, bursitis in my knee, sciatica, intermittent aches and pains, and dancing that embarrasses my children - even so, I don't want to lose that childlike outlook.

Yes, give me maturity, give me wisdom, but don't let my mind get "old" and "set in my ways". Aunt Elizabeth, who died at 91, and her sister Virginia (now 86, I think) personify that "youth". They are younger than many "serious" 30-year-olds I know. Maybe you get to get less serious as you age. Mom no longer has to "budget". She is not extravagant, but she spends what she needs to.

Rambling, rambling. What does it mean?
I'm 46 years old, and I want the energy I had at 17 to do the things that I didn't think were that important at the time. I wish I'd been wiser in choices up to now. Is that what we call LIFE LEARNNG? Learning your life could have been fuller if "you knew then what you know now"?

43 years old. Time is running out.

What will I have to show the Father that I did with the talents He gave me? A cup of water to a stranger in need... ? A loving mother? A provider? A competent employee? A supporter of mission?

Am I yearning for more because I'm meant to do more, or because of ego? Do I want to serve to serve or be recognized for doing it?

My life. Hm.
46 years. What to show for that? It's a Wonderful Life (three great children, trying to serve others) - but is it an Important Life?

and - does it need to be?

Or does it just need to be a life dedicated to the Messiah? Hmm.....

Pax!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home