McDougall - Maximum Weight Loss
Basically, the McDougall food plan is:
Low-Fat Vegan (really vegan - no meat, no dairy)
I have half-heartedly tried this plan before, but cheated a lot, because I did not take the time to have the right foods conveniently available. I'd eat cheese and crackers, nachos.... you get the picture. Well, starting this past weekend, I'm beginning again.
According to his book people who are at least 30 pounds* or more over their ideal weight should lose between 6 - 15 pounds the first month - if they don't "cheat".
*- yes, I AM in that category. I was 120 at my fitest (maybe less at times). Even giving myself 10 pounds for 'middle age', I'm 30 over.
"Cheating" is eating meat, dairy products, cooking with much oil, or eating the foods that on the "no" list. It may seem restrictive, but I am not supposed to let myself go hungry. As much rice, grains, beans (well, 1 cup so I don't get too much protein), fruit, vegetables (even potatoes) as I want. Sugar is discouraged, but allowed, if used minimally - e.g., sugar on your oatmeal, not a donut :)
Keep in mind, I can eat as much as I am hungry for, and can have an OCCASIONAL"feast" day AFTER I get my weight down. The key is to stop the emotional/bored/habit snacking and really not eat past fullness.
My NEW plan, an old plan revisited:
Do mostly swimming and walking (biking, weather permitting) and a couple of weight-training classes, get my weight down 15-20 pounds. This will put me a little under my triathlon weight. Once I am down to a more comfortable weight, start my running program, and then perhaps add some of the other foods on the regular McDougall diet - whole grain breads and pastas, some nuts and more fruit if I need more calories to burn.
Many people think this is a restrictive diet, but they are all foods I love. I might miss my salmon, but I can have that later as a little feast. Sweets usually make me feel "icky" after I eat them, even now.
So, wish me luck in sticking to the food list. I've got cookbooks. I've got "approved" packaged foods. I'm on my way.
Best!
Rosie
Low-Fat Vegan (really vegan - no meat, no dairy)
I have half-heartedly tried this plan before, but cheated a lot, because I did not take the time to have the right foods conveniently available. I'd eat cheese and crackers, nachos.... you get the picture. Well, starting this past weekend, I'm beginning again.
According to his book people who are at least 30 pounds* or more over their ideal weight should lose between 6 - 15 pounds the first month - if they don't "cheat".
*- yes, I AM in that category. I was 120 at my fitest (maybe less at times). Even giving myself 10 pounds for 'middle age', I'm 30 over.
"Cheating" is eating meat, dairy products, cooking with much oil, or eating the foods that on the "no" list. It may seem restrictive, but I am not supposed to let myself go hungry. As much rice, grains, beans (well, 1 cup so I don't get too much protein), fruit, vegetables (even potatoes) as I want. Sugar is discouraged, but allowed, if used minimally - e.g., sugar on your oatmeal, not a donut :)
Keep in mind, I can eat as much as I am hungry for, and can have an OCCASIONAL"feast" day AFTER I get my weight down. The key is to stop the emotional/bored/habit snacking and really not eat past fullness.
My NEW plan, an old plan revisited:
Do mostly swimming and walking (biking, weather permitting) and a couple of weight-training classes, get my weight down 15-20 pounds. This will put me a little under my triathlon weight. Once I am down to a more comfortable weight, start my running program, and then perhaps add some of the other foods on the regular McDougall diet - whole grain breads and pastas, some nuts and more fruit if I need more calories to burn.
Many people think this is a restrictive diet, but they are all foods I love. I might miss my salmon, but I can have that later as a little feast. Sweets usually make me feel "icky" after I eat them, even now.
So, wish me luck in sticking to the food list. I've got cookbooks. I've got "approved" packaged foods. I'm on my way.
Best!
Rosie

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home